Friday, February 5, 2010

Deleting from Picasa Web Albums

Q: I was just trying out something new with Picasa web albums but didn't realize that they would be available for all to see via the web. Could you please tell me how do I delete them from the web albums please.

A: I know a lot of people have this question, so let’s take a look.

Log In to your Web Album

First you must be logged in to your Picasa Web Albums.  Just go to www.picasaweb.google.com/yourusername and make sure you are logged in.  If you are, you will see your email address appear on the top row – over towards the right of the screen.  If you’re not logged in you will see a link to ‘Sign In’ at the top right.

Delete an Album

Now, you should be seeing all your Albums.  Click on the album you want to delete.  Click on the Edit menu and then Delete Album.

image

Delete a Picture

If instead, you only wanted to delete a picture or two, then just click on the picture first.  Now when you click on the Edit menu, you will have a choice to Delete picture.

Don’t Delete – Make it Private

From the original question, it sounds like you may actually have wanted the Album to stay – you just don’t want everyone to be able to see it.  For that, you can click the Edit menu and choose Album properties.and then Permissions.  You will see an option for Share: Public, Unlisted, Sign-in required to view.  If you choose Unlisted, then anyone visiting your web albums page will simply not see that album.  When you’re logged in, you will see the album and it will show a little lock on it to indicate that it is private.  You can share (click the little envelope icon) a private album with anyone you choose, but the public won’t see it.

17 comments:

  1. The option to delete my web album is greyed out so I can't delete the album. I can delete the pictures in the album but not the album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having some problems, 1. I cannot get Picasa 3 to come up to do work on it even tho it is on my desktop.
    2. I get multiple copies of photos in many different folders from other folders, 3. sometimes there will be 4 copies of the same photo in a folder. I cannot figure out how to download to a specific folder they are all going to a digital pictures folder now which has over a 1000 photos in it.
    Where do I start to figure this out? thanks, Micki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Micki,
    Not sure about #1 - sounds like you need to re-install Picasa
    As for #2 - have you read this article? http://50.22.81.91/~chrisg/2010/01/picasa-tip-finding-duplicate-pictures/

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do I delete multiple albums at once?

    ReplyDelete
  5. To my knowledge you can't delete multiple albums at once - only one at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy, the reason for that is because the pictures in that album are posted online somewhere. Whether it be a blog, google buzz, Face Book, twitter or anywhere else, it will not allow you to delete them. I don't know why, but I do know that it has to do with the pictures being online.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy, the reason for that is because the pictures in that album are posted online somewhere. Whether it be a blog, google buzz, Face Book, twitter or anywhere else, it will not allow you to delete them. I don't know why, but I do know that it has to do with the pictures being online.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deleting albums is easy.
    What I'd be interested in is how not to show the "Recent comments" section in the right side of the window when someone accesses my Picasa Albums page.
    Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  9. for greyed out albums
    1 download picasa app on your system
    2 import > web albums
    3 delete album folder on your system and it gives an option to delete online album too

    it worked for me! good luck

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently stumbled across a bug when you click while viewing a particular image the edit roll down menu, choose delete this photo, it prompts the confirmation you say yes, and then nothing happens I mean NOTHING. it didn't get deleted whatever i tried. Even for a bug this is kinda too wacky and stupid esp for Google.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "The option to delete my web album is greyed out so I can’t delete the album. I can delete the pictures in the album but not the album."

    I had the same problem. The pictures had been posted on blogger so the albums couldn't be deleted (even after deleting the blogs).

    Answer: Delete all the pictures in the album and the option to delete the album will become activated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. But even after you delete all the photos in said album that are posted somewhere on the web, it will not allow you to delete the album.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you. This trick worked. I also deleted the blog to no avail, but deleting all the photos (then refreshing the web page) allowed me to delete the album.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There must have been a change.

    You now have to open an album, click on Actions and select Delete Album. You then get a threatening warning that all photos will be deleted from all Google products, which makes you think that that includes Picassa, but it doesn't. What a rubbish way to set this up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am trying to delete albums off of picasa, when i click on organize or actions nothing pops up i see the arrow like there should be other options but it wont work. Is there another way I can delete pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah, must have changed.

    In my case, I can delete individual images but not the whole album.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I uploaaded some 'featured photos' from a picasa ad at some point-over 1000 of them. Now they are NOT in an album but just listed all together as 'featured photos' and are taking space I want for other things. I cannot delete them however...
    I know this means they are online someplace else but how can I get them out of my storage so it will be free for my stuff?

    ReplyDelete