Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Do you use Picasa Web Albums?

Most all of the articles in this Picasa Tutorials blog are about the Picasa software that runs locally on your computer and manages your photos.  If you want to share your photos with family, friends, or the world, you can upload them from your computer to Picasa Web Albums.

[poll id="2"]

Share your Pictures Using Picasa Web Albums


I think everyone who uses Picasa, should also use Picasa Web Albums.  No more printing, no more emailing.  If you’re connected to the Internet, Picasa makes it a single click to upload your selected photos to Picasa Web Albums.  Simply select the picture (or pictures) you want on your Web Album, and click the Upload button.  There is a little bit of one-time setup to establish your Google Web Album account, and there are some options with each upload.  Once you’re set up and have your options selected, each upload is really that easy … two clicks.

image

With your free Google account, you get 1 Gigabyte of free Picasa Web Albums space.  The number of pictures that will hold depend on the size of your uploads.  I use the middle size option (1024 pixels) and I have nearly 4,000 pictures uploaded over 3 1/2 years.  I still haven’t reached my free 1GB limit.  And, when I do, I’ll pay the $5/yr for 5 GB of space.

image

Don’t *Store* your Pictures on Picasa Web Albums


Some people seem to think that, just because they are using Picasa, their pictures are on the web and they can delete them from their computer.  There’s two things wrong with this thinking:

  1. Pictures only go to Picasa Web Albums if you manually Upload them, or set a folder to ‘Synchronize’ to the web.  None of this happens automatically.

  2. Even if you have uploaded all your photos to your Web Album, I wouldn’t trust the Web with my originals.  They should be on your computer, and backed up to Disk.
    see past article: Don’t Delete your Original Photos


Using Picasa Web Albums as a Backup?


If you use Picasa Web Albums (PWA) like I do – uploading the smaller sized picture – then it’s definitely not a good backup.  I don’t think PWA was ever designed to be a backup system for your photos, however, recent enhancements may make it possible.  You can now upload full-resolution pictures, and, with Synchronized folders – it will automatically upload all pictures in that folder.  This is going to take a *lot* more space, but for $5/5 GB – maybe that’s OK.  It looks to me like Google has future plans to convert PWA to a place where we keep our photos online … period.  With increased Internet speed, and cheap storage it becomes possible.

But, I don’t think it’s here yet.  If you should happen to lose the pictures on your computer – having them on PWA is certainly better than nothing, but I’d rather use something like Carbonitewhich is designed as an online backup system.
This tip brought to you by Geeks on Tour

Geeks on Tour is a membership website with hundreds of Tutorial Videos on topics of interest to travelers, such as managing digital photos with Picasa, Route-Planning with Streets and Trips, and sharing your travels with a website using Blogger or with friends on Facebook. You can subscribe to our free e-newsletters, or become a paid member and be able to view all of the videos in the Learning Library.

Members may want to view the following tutorial videos.  Not a member?  Join now.

 

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I like your treatment of Picasa.
    I would like to suggest another use for the Gold Star.
    When I am creating a new album say of a trip, I select the pictures I wish to use in the PWA. Once done that I move them to a new album and then work on them from there. I even do this if I wish to create an album in Picasa for my PC. I prefer this to pinning pictures in the tray. It also allows me to select from many folders again without pinning.

    I also have a Best of Album so I can keep my best and have the gold star free for selection use.

    Bruce

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have used Flickr but only while I was overseas. Will start using Web Albums. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I upload a lot of my best concert photos to Facebook (limited to about 600 pixels max width or height) then I link to the album of larger versions on my Picasa Web Albums. But Facebook it appears has recently upgraded photos to max 720 pixels, which is actually larger than those viewd in Picasa Web Albums unless you go to fullscreen mode or download. So I don't duplicate my photos anymore on PWA. I do enjoy the Upload to Faceook button in Picasa though and use Picasa for most of my editing.

    I noticed Facebook compresses photos, but this is only really noticeable when I put up simple graphic designs and it's not apparent with photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a blog: http://velvetpassion.blogspot.com/ and I automatically had a Picasa Web Album. I only just realised I had one the other day because they said I needed to add more Gbs or whatever to it. I really dont want this Picasa Web Album because I have to pay for the pictures I upload now. How do I get rid of it without getting rid of my photos on my blog. I didnt choose to have this Picasa Web Album! :( Any help would be fantastic, thank you! x

    ReplyDelete