Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Picasa Tip: Use Captions

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but a few words attached to a photo can say a lot too. Picasa makes writing captions so easy, you have no excuse not to identify them. Simply click in the space below the picture and type. No need to save - Picasa does that automatically when you move on or press Enter. All you need to do is just type ... you're done.(Member Tutorial Video: Add Captions to your Photos)

If you take just a moment to write a couple words with each of your important photographs, you will love yourself for it. Here are just some of the benefits of having captions written on your pictures:

  1. Every word in the caption is searchable

  2. Captions can be printed when you print the photo (new in 3)

  3. Captions appear in slide shows of your photos

  4. Captions will display with your photo when you upload them to Picasa Web Albums

  5. You can have captions display below the thumbnails of your photos in the Library view

  6. Captions are stored with the picture file itself, so are visible in many other programs.


If you like to share your life's stories and pictures with family and friends, but writing a blog is not for you, you may find that adding captions to your photos is all you need. I generally type a caption on every photo I upload to my Picasa Web Albums. Here is a sample:

Captions in Picasa and Picasa Web Albums

If you click on the image above, it will take you to the actual web album. Then, find that picture of Jim teaching Google Earth and click on it. You will see that captions don't have to be limited to a few words. I typed a whole paragraph on that one!
This tip brought to you by Geeks on Tour

Geeks on Tour is a membership website with hundreds of Tutorial Videos on topics of interest to travelers, such as managing digital photos with Picasa, Route-Planning with Streets and Trips, and sharing your travels with a website using Blogger or with friends on Facebook. You can subscribe to our free e-newsletters, or become a paid member and be able to view all of the videos in the Learning Library.

Members may want to view the following tutorial videos.  Not a member?  Join now.

10 comments:

  1. Aloha! I don't know which I am more excited about....Picasa 3 or your awesome tips. Your teaching method is clear and easy to understand, and being able to see it in action makes all the difference in the world. Text books can be tough to learn from.

    We live on the Big Island of Hawaii and don't suppose you'll be driving this way anytime soon, but let us know if you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I can select several photos in Library view and TAG them as a group. Is there any way to CAPTION photos as a group? So far to caption groups I have been using either Irfanview or ITag for batches but I would rather do it all in one place if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope ... not that I know of anyway. You can copy a caption, then paste it on several pictures one after the other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a way to delete ALL of the existing captions on my files in one easy step? I have many pictures of my own organized a certain way, but also download albums from family and friends and want to be able to delete the captions they have put in. I am hoping not to have to go through them all individually. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. a question- I use my pictures as a screen saver. caption used to be displayed but some how they do not show any more why?????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check your settings ... Tools, Configure Screensaver, Choose Google Photos Screensaver, Settings, make sure the checkbox for Show Captions is checked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,
    I am using Picasa 2 as my computer is still on 98 SE and works fine.
    I cannot copy a Caption made for one picture and paste it on further pictures.
    The Copy/paste function from 98 SE does not work.
    Please help.
    F.Guyot

    ReplyDelete
  8. The ability to copy a caption started with version 3.5 I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    I am generally used to put captions into my Picasa. This gets transmitted to Picasaweb and Google+. But, off late, this has not been happening! Do you have an idea of what might have gone wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I copy my picassa pictures with dates & names of people on them to a stick & take that to Costco to get developed. The dates & names of people are never developed on the pictures....what am i doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete